top of page

Reacting to a Chemical Hair Service: What to Do and How to Stay Safe

Experiencing a reaction during or after a hair service appointment can be distressing. This blog aims to provide helpful guidance on handling such situations. We’ll explore common reaction descriptions, explain why allergies can arise even with familiar products, and discuss preventive measures. Additionally, we’ll outline steps to take if an allergic reaction occurs, emphasizing the importance of seeking appropriate medical care. Let’s delve into the details!

Signs of an Allergic Reaction to Chemical Hair Services:

• Itchy or irritated scalp

• Redness or swelling of the scalp or face

• Rash or hives

• Burning or stinging sensations

• Excessive scalp sensitivity

• Unusual hair breakage or loss

Preventing Allergic Reactions:

• Avoid scratching the scalp before hair services, as it can increase skin sensitivity.

• Communicate any known allergies or sensitivities to the stylist prior to the appointment.

• Request a patch test before a full application, especially if you’ve had reactions in the past.

• Stay informed about the ingredients in hair products and their potential allergenic properties.

Understanding Allergic Reactions:

• Allergies can develop at any point in life, even if you’ve previously used the same products without issues.

• Sensitization to specific ingredients can occur over time, leading to an allergic response.

Steps to Take if an Allergic Reaction Occurs:

1. Stop the service immediately.

2. Gently rinse the affected area with cool water to remove any remaining product.

3. Seek medical attention promptly, particularly if the reaction is severe or accompanied by difficulty breathing or swelling of the face or throat.

4. Document the reaction with photos and provide a detailed description to help professionals identify the cause.

When to Seek Urgent Care or Emergency Services:

• Severe swelling or difficulty breathing

• Rapidly spreading rash or hives

• Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting

• Any symptoms suggesting anaphylaxis (e.g., throat swelling, chest tightness)

Reacting to a chemical hair service can be a cause for concern, but being prepared and taking the appropriate steps can help manage the situation effectively. By recognizing the signs of an allergic reaction, preventing sensitization, and promptly seeking medical attention when necessary, you can prioritize your well-being and ensure a safe salon experience. Remember, your health and safety should always be the top priority.


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page